Mathematics education is a core part of preparing students to operate successfully in society. We assist each student to better grasp the elegance and usefulness of Mathematics in every day life, and it can add to student’s appreciation of God and the wonders of His creation.
In Year 9, three courses are offered (Advanced, Standard and Modified) to help students who are progressing at different rates. Each is designed to prepare students for the future study of Mathematics in Years 10 – 12.
Students will be able to:
- Show understanding of the fundamental concepts involved in each topic.
- Make appropriate use of technology such as scientific calculators.
- Apply mathematical skills to practical situations.
- At the start of Year 9, each student is placed in a class depending on their performance in Year 8 Mathematics. All three courses include the topics of Statistics, Pythagoras’ Theorem, Algebra, Trigonometry, Probability, Linear equations and Graphs. Students in the Advanced and the Standard courses will also study Financial Mathematics, Indices and Non-Linear Relationships and Geometric reasoning.
Year 9 Advanced Course
- This course is designed to accelerate able students of Mathematics. This course leads to Year 10 Specialist Mathematics which will sufficiently prepare students who are planning to study Units 1 & 2 Mathematics subjects offered at VCE. Student’s use of technology will be enhanced and, where appropriate, students will be given extension work.
Year 9 Standard Course
- This course is designed for students who are progressing steadily in Mathematics. This course leads to Year 10 Standard Mathematics which will sufficiently prepare students who are planning to study any of the Units 1 & 2 Mathematics subjects offered at VCE. Student’s use of technology will be enhanced.
Year 9 Modified Course
- This course is designed for students who find Mathematics difficult. It does not cover the breadth of the other two Year 9 Mathematics courses and students are not required to study topics to the same depth as in the other courses. Student’s use of technology will be enhanced.
Assessment tasks for each course include:
- Maths Mate homework sheets and tests
- Topic tests
- Investigative projects
- Problem solving tasks
- Semester examinations