A semester-long subject taken by all students, either in first or second semester.
This core subject, running for a semester, is a practically based subject emphasising food preparation skills required for everyday living. The sharing of kitchen facilities and working as a team reinforces the skills we need to live together harmoniously. Throughout the production exercises, students have ‘hands on’ experience with basic foods that God has provided for our enjoyment and nourishment. The foods and recipes are chosen to provide excitement in the kitchen and hopefully a life-long enjoyment of cooking.
Students will be able to:
- Produce quality food products in a safe and hygienic manner.
- Demonstrate an ability to work as part of a team.
- Identify the foods that supply adequate nutrition.
- The basic design process – investigate, design, produce and evaluate.
- Food production – products suitable for light refreshment, breakfasts, snacks, light lunches, afternoon tea and dinner.
- Safety and hygiene.
- Equipment and utensils.
- Food preparation skills.
- Basic cookery terms.
- Measuring foods and oven management.
- Tray and table setting.
- The Healthy Eating Pyramid.
Students are assessed on:
- Production – practical sessions including a practical test
- Workbook exercises